A nice simple recipe for easy birthday party treats. It’s minimal work and maximum effect, these marble cupcakes look impressive and look liked you’ve made a big effort in the kitchen!
This is one of my more simple recipes, made with a standard cake mix of:
- 220g unsalted butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 110g self raising flour
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 100g of good quality chocolate (I used Chocolate and Love Sea Salt to give them a luxury taste!)
- 170g of icing sugar
What you need to do:
- Mix 110g butter, the eggs, self raising flour in a large bowl until thick and creamy – make sure all the lumps have been removed.
- Line a cupcake tray with 12 paper cases and preheat the oven to 180C
- Split the cake mix into equal halves, add the cocoa powder to one batch and the vanilla essence to the other. Mix both well.
- Spoon each mixture into the paper cases in layers, they won’t look marbled when uncooked but the cooking process will do this for you – see easy peasy!
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown, remove and then allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir your icing sugar and remaining butter together until well mixed.
- Melt your chocolate in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the chocolate doesn’t touch the water!) and while still warm add to your buttercream mixture.
- Stir well and top your marble cupcakes with the mixture and decorate!