This is a great chocolate cake recipe, it’s quite a thick cake, so you only need a small slither…but when has that stopped us before, especially when your feeling the Sunday Blues! If you’re on a diet why not try my 3-ingredient virtually syn free version too.
You will need:
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 180g unsalted, softened butter
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self raising flour
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Gas Mark 4) and then grease a large cake tray.
- Mix the cocoa powder with 4 tbsp of hot (not boiling) water until it is a smooth paste.
- Mix the sugar and butter together until creamy and slowly add the eggs and then the flour until this is well blended.
- Add the cocoa powder mixture until the mixture is well covered.
- Pour the mixture into the tray and make a slight dip the in the centre as this will rise and you want it to be a level as possible.
- Bake in the oven for about 90 minutes. When cooked you can check this by poking a clean knife into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean then it’s cooked.
- Allow to cool before removing it from the bowl and then turn out onto wire racks to cool over a few hours. Once completely cool you can ice with butter icing of your choosing. I choose to mix 350g of icing sugar with 175g unsalted butter and then adding 100g of melted chocolate.