Apple Pie is a traditional Sunday dessert so as you can imagine it’s one of my favourites. There’s nothing like a bit of pastry after a roast dinner to finish off your afternoon!
To make this delicious apple pie you will need the following ingredients:
To make the pastry:
- 200g plain flour
- 110g unsalted, softened butter
- 5 tbsp cold water
To make the filling:
- 700g cooking apples, which are cored, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp cold water
- Tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g unsalted, softened butter
- Milk for a pastry glaze
What you need to do:
- Put the flour and unsalted butter in a large bowl and rub with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the water gradually until the mixture starts to bind together.
- Put the dough in clingfilm in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Simmer the apples in a large pan with the lemon juice and water until they are softened. Once cooked add the sugar and cinnamon and stir until everything is ‘slushy’.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Stir until melted.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
- Roll out half of the pastry and line a 12cm dish. Fill the dish with the cooked apple mixture.
- Roll the rest of the pastry to make a top to the pie and dampen the edges with a little cold water to stick to the rest of the pastry.
- Glaze the top of the pie before putting in the oven for 20-25 minutes and then serve with ice-cream.